Thursday, February 7, 2013

Chinese New Year's Craft

According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2013 is the year of the Snake. Chinese New Year is a spectacular holiday that is so important in Asia that it lasts two weeks, with endless festivity. Anyone who's had the privilege of walking through Chinatown during Chinese New Year knows how exciting the streets are during the parade. The banging of the firecrackers and crashing of gongs, and let's not forget the beautiful dragon dances. There is shortage of fun activities to do in school for Chinese New Year. It's a pity I don't have the time to do them all, but here's one that is cheap, fun, and easy to do. It's a simple Chinese dragon puppet.





You simply color, cut, and attach the head and tail to a strip of construction paper 2 inches wide. Then tape Popsicle sticks or coffee stirrers on the back.






Above are the supplies I used and below is my model.



And last but not least, an example of student work!




And wouldn't you know it? I found a perfect book that I don't have to go with this craft. Well, I've ordered it for next year. 



Happy Chinese New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment