Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Even If The Movie Isn't As Good As The Book.....

This is an old subject, but I think I'll post about it. The common wisdom about movies and books is that if a book is turned into a movie, no one will bother with the book anymore. I completely disagree. My informal research and experience indicates otherwise.

The Lightning Thief series are excellent books, but they are large, thick books with tiny print, and would seem ambitious to many of my students. But I don't go a week without several of them being checked out, with numerous requests for renewal, and to reserve the next installment. Why?

They've all seen the movie. Since they loved it, they are certain that the book is also good, and can't wait to give it a try.

So if there is a book you would like your child to read, like Charlotte's Web or Holes, and he/she is skeptical, try sharing the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment